Each Chapter of the National Emerging Museum Professional Network was started by an EMP just like you! Individuals who desired to connect with peers and share resources, and maybe a few drinks.
Starting a Chapter is easy! Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Check to see if there is already a Chapter in your area. You can find your nearest Chapter on our Find a Chapter page.
- Complete this form.
- Don’t go it alone – Once you have determined there are no nearby Chapters, find a few like-minded individuals that can help form your Chapter. Reach out to colleagues or classmates to share ideas with and get things organized. If you need help finding peers in your area you can always request help on our Facebook Group.
- Facebook Group – Once you have completed your on-boarding with NEMPN, a Facebook Group will be created for your chapter. This is the quickest way to get connected with EMPs in your area. You can share it to the National EMP Facebook group and immediately start making connections with EMPs near you. This is also the easiest way to make announcements about upcoming events and to share resources.
- Plan your First Meet-Up – This can either be a face to face meet up or an electronic meet up using something like Google Hangout or Skype. The important thing is getting connected to your peers. Get acquainted by asking your new members what kinds of activities they would like to see the group undertake, play a few ice breaker games, and just get to know each other.
- Don’t Get Discouraged – In some areas new Chapters are slow to take off due to local circumstances, so don’t get down if your first meet up is met with less than hoped for attendance and participation. Try again with a different date, time, or location.
NEXT, Decide what Kind of a Chapter You Will Be? There is no standard Chapter structure for National EMP Network, this allows local chapters to easily adapt to the needs and constraints of their area. Below are a few examples of types of Chapters you can pursue: