New York, NY (October 1, 2021)— The National Emerging Museum Professionals Network (NEMPN) is launching its inaugural awards program to recognize the accomplishments of individuals and institutions who have shown outstanding service to emerging museum professionals. Raising awareness of the great work happening on local and national levels, these awards celebrate emerging and established professionals actively practicing the values of equitable and inclusive behavior.
Twenty-four awards will be given out across five categories, celebrating the best and brightest in the field. “NEMPN exists because of and for emerging museum professionals, and those who support EMPs,” said Sierra Van Ryck de Groot, co-President of the NEMPN Board of Directors. “We felt it was only fitting to formally recognize outstanding and noteworthy individuals and organizations that align with our mission of engaging and supporting self-defined emerging museum professionals in building vibrant, equitable, and inclusive communities of networking, collaborative practice, and exchange.”
“As an organization, we strive to work with those who recognize that EMPs bring broader expertise to museums,” said Sierra Polisar, co-President of the NEMPN Board of Directors. “In addition to celebrating people playing critical roles in the museum field right now, these awards also highlight our peers that pursue the NEMPN mission by doing the work to support and grow EMPs in their professional development.”
The categories for the NEMPN Awards 2021 include:
- Best Internship Programs: Institutions with paid internship programs that have gone above and beyond to empower emerging museum professionals
- EMP Chapter of the Year: Recognizing NEMPN chapters that have show outstanding service to their members and the national organization
- Museum Studies Programs: Recognizing degree- and certification-granting programs for diversifying and developing a comprehensive education for EMPs
- Social Advocates: Recognizing individuals spreading the word about issues and changes in the museum field
- Rock Solid: Recognizing individuals, collectives, and institutions for their contributions to the museum field
To submit a nomination, please visit the corresponding award nomination form. Nominations for awards will open on October 1, 2021 and close October 31, 2021. Award winners will be announced on Friday, November 19th, 2021, during the NEMPN Awards Celebration.