How to Address Employment Gaps
1. Attend lectures, fundraising events and openings in your field.
2. Practice talking to people and writing articles about your interests.
3. Network with professionals in the field via interest groups.
4. Print out job listings from museums around the country and dedicate yourself to learning those qualifications and gaining those skills and experiences. Experience can be acquired through volunteer jobs such as writing grants for a nearby pet shelter.
5. Get your story straight and learn to say it quickly in a few sentences.
6. Pick a relevant paid job that matches the skills and qualifications needed for your first museum job.
7. Stay busy. Always keep up the energy… no sitting at home watching re-runs!
If you have a question or dilemma that’s been troubling you, click on this link to be redirected to a short submission form to pose your question to the Communications Committee. Your question may be featured in the next e-newsletter and the National EMP Network Blog!