Education Manager, Youth & Family Programs
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art
St. Petersburg, FL
Preferred Degree in Area of Study:
B.A. in art museum education, art education, or fine arts. M.A. preferred.
The James Museum seeks an experienced Education Manager to develop and oversee a broad range of programs for youth and family audiences. Reporting to, and working closely with the Director of Education, the Education Manager will develop, implement, and evaluate engaging and innovative programs and educational resources based on the museum’s permanent collection and a rotating schedule of special exhibitions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
– Develop and implement creative and innovative programs and educational resources for children, such as hands-on art classes, workshops, summer camps, and gallery resources.
– Develop and coordinate inter-generational programs, such as gallery experiences, workshops, and art-making activities; create family-friendly gallery resources, tours and publications.
– Work with the Director of Education and internal teams to plan and execute special events.
– Serve as a museum representative at community programs and outreach events.
– Work with the Director of Education and the curatorial team to create and edit interpretive materials such as catalogs, label text and website content.
– Complete other duties and responsibilities as required.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
– Experience in creating, managing and leading educational programs in an art museum or similar setting, especially gallery-based activities, art camps and workshops, tours and family-friendly events.
– Knowledge of and experience in implementing best practices in art museum education.
– A confident and engaging communicator who is comfortable speaking to groups of children and adults, and able to write for a variety of ages/levels.
– A team-player with strong interpersonal skills. Must have the desire and ability to collaborate with internal teams and cultivate partnerships with external constituencies.
– Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with the highest attention to detail and quality.
– Proficient with appropriate office software applications, as well as social media platforms. Experience with developing and using educational technology in programs is a plus.
– Able to work a varied schedule, including regular weekends and evenings.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
– B.A. in art museum education, art education, or fine arts. M.A. preferred
– 3-5 years of experience planning and teaching art programs within an arts, education, or cultural institution. Art museum experience strongly preferred.
– Demonstrated capacity to work collegially.
– Entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high performing world-class organization.
– Exceptional verbal and written communication and outstanding interpersonal skills.
– Must be able to stand and move around public areas of the museum for extended periods of time (reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities).
More information about the job can be found here.
Quantified Level of Education vs. Years of Experience is Preferred:
Undergraduate degree with 3-10 years of experience or graduate degree with 0-5 years of experience.
Full Time Non-Traditional Schedule (evenings, weekends, varies week to week)
Paid Sick/Personal Days
Interested in hiring:
Applicants ONLY with direct experience to the position
Applicants that can be flexible with their schedule
Applicants who can start right away
A candidate that fits the organization’s internal culture
Open until Filled
Management Styles of the Organization (you can find the descriptions of each style by following this link):
Management style is Authoritative.
Resumes should be sent to:
Julie Matus at email@example.com
Please do not __ to inquire:
Call or drop-in
Name and Title of person to whom the candidates should address applications:
Include the following with your resume:
Please email cover letter with resume.
Initial/screening interview by phone. Finalist candidates will interview in person (or by phone for remote candidates) with 1-2 staff members.