Education and Tour Coordinator
Lorain County Historical Society
$28,000 – $30,000 per year
The Lorain County Historical Society is looking for an energetic and friendly professional to be our Education and Tour Coordinator. Do you want to work in our two amazing historic properties in Elyria, Ohio and with our collection to uncover and share the stories of Lorain County’s history? This just might be the perfect job for you!
The primary duties of the Education and Tour Coordinator are to:
• Develop, implement, and evaluate well-researched, mission-based educational programs, on-site and off-site tours, and other community outreach programs.
• Maintain partnerships with schools to offer curriculum-based K-12 programs related to LCHS’s collection and museums and aligned with state learning standards.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional contacts, school districts, public and private organizations, LCHS members, and members of the community to arrange scheduling for programs, field trips, guided tours, or demonstrations.
• Identify overarching interpretive themes and work in collaboration with the Executive Director in making interpretation and programming decisions.
• Coordinate the annual summer History Camp for kids’ program.
• Track educational programming. Collect attendance and survey information from program participants. Provide information as needed for statistical reporting, including for grant proposals and reports.
• Recruit and supervise volunteers to assure coverage of the museums during open hours.
• Collaborate to create well-researched, educationally valuable, and engaging museum exhibits.
• Assist with research projects.
• Consult on the creation of promotional graphics, flyers, and printed programs.
• Prepare press releases for programs and submit to the Executive Director for approval.
• Assist with maintenance of LCHS’s website and social media.
• Complete other duties as requested by the Executive Director
• B.A. or M.A. in public history, history, education, or other relevant discipline or equivalent professional public programming experience.
• Previous paid or volunteer experience working for a nonprofit historical organization is highly desired.
• Ability to be productive and well organized in a visitor-service-oriented environment.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking.
• Talent for teaching and interacting with people of all ages. Familiarity with varied learning preferences, special needs, and current trends in public education curricula, and teaching using primary sources.
• Commitment to historical accuracy. Experience in building diverse audiences and connecting communities with history through public programs is desirable.
• Experience in conducting oral histories and research projects is desired.
• Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and database programs like Past Perfect.
• Experience with graphic design, and website and social media maintenance is highly desired.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a 35-hour work week, including some weekend and evening duties. The Education and Tour Coordinator reports to and works closely with the Executive Director. This position also works closely with other professional staff and a varied team of volunteers. This position requires stair climbing and some lifting. A valid driver’s license is required. The Lorain County Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
Preferred Degree in Area of Study
B.A. or M.A. in public history, history, or education
A candidate that fits the organization’s internal culture
Full Time non-Traditional Schedule (evenings, weekends, varies week to week)
Health Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick/Personal Days
Management Styles of the Organization (you can find the descriptions of each style by following this link):
Resumes should be sent to
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references with contact information to the Education and Tour Coordinator Search Committee at email@example.com by April 30, 2019. Mailed applications will not be accepted. No phone inquiries.
1-2 rounds of interviews (both phone and in-person)
Applicants will be notified if they do not get the job.
Please do not call to inquire about this position.